Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Monday, December 31, 2007

...I'm always the worrier...

...and New Year's Eve, for me, is the night I worry most of all. About drunk drivers. And about what the new year will have in store. Scott and I are spending a quiet New Year's Eve alone. We will stay home and poke each other trying to stay awake, and we will take turns checking in with each of our kids hoping that they are safely off the roads. When did I get so nervous about drunk drivers to the point where I just want to stay home on holidays? On the news just now they said that in Virginia only three people died during last New Year's Eve, while eighteen died during Thanksgiving week, and twenty-some died over Fourth of July. This should be reassuring to me, shouldn't it?!

I'm thinking about how last New Year's Eve, I could not have imagined: (1) that Matthew's friend, Steven, would not live to see this next year. Or (2) that I would find out that the 4 1/2 years I have spent busting my butt in my college classes...that the majority of the 68 credit hours I have worked so hard to earn, would not be transferrable to a four-year college (I went to a guidance counselor 4 1/2 years ago, and followed his (mis-)"advice"). Or (3) that my daughters, Monica and Meeghan, would still be living in Florida. Or (4) that Mallory and Matthew would grow up so soon...I am suffering from "empty nest" syndrome, and I don't like it one bit. Or (5) that I would feel so frigging old today...and act like my parents, who never bothered, once they got to this age, to stay up to ring in the New Year! I always thought of myself as a party girl, and the idea of a quiet evening home on New Year's Eve, poking each other and trying to stay standing up or drinking gallons of coffee to keep awake, is depressing.

I am hoping this year to find: (1) a female Tibetan spaniel, (2) lots of money in an old purse, (3) my sense of humor that I seem to have misplaced lately, (4) enough energy and motivation to try something new, different, and exciting.

I hope that in the next year, my friends and family all find happiness, or at least contentment, keep good health, and find something to make them laugh their ass off every day. As I become more aware of the speed of life, it seems more important to me that I lose the inhibitions I seem to have acquired during the past thirty-some years, and return to the wild and crazy attitude I had way back in the day. I have a couple of hours before Scott gets home from work, to come up with a plan to do something that (hopefully) won't get me/us arrested. Happy New Year!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

From what I remember, even when there is a stipulation about credits not transferring, if you do get the AA Degree, it does transfer, so the 4-year college will accept the whole first 2-year credits. Look into it and maybe you'll have reason to celebrate.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home