Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

...about something other than school work, for a change.

I just don't know how my daughter Mallory does it. I am straining my brain taking three courses each semester. My classes are in early childhood education. Mallory, on the other hand is a premed student. Some of her classes are biochemistry, histology, and physics. It has taken me five years to get close to my associate's degree. Mallory is now in her second senior year; not content to graduate with 120 credits, she has added on more science classes. I believe upon graduation, she will have taken nearly every biological science course offered, and will be graduating with 170 credits.
I will still be plodding along for another five years until I earn my degree. Mallory should be completing dental or medical school by that time. She's trying to decide if she wants to be a dentist or an endocrinologist. She is putting applications in at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond for dental school, and at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, and will accept whichever invitation comes first. What a frigging brainiac--to think that the daughter of an underachieving mother and a father from the armpit of New Jersey has gotten as far as she has--is amazing to me. She is very dedicated to her studies. While her friends are out partying, she has her nose buried in her books. We are incredibly proud of her, and know that all the hard work and dedication will pay off for her. She will be the first person in our family who will have an easier life. Her grandparents would be blown away to see the genius that their drifty daughter produced!
My finals for the semester are done. I've studied my keister off--not easy for someone who didn't give a rat's ass about school in high school, and has procrastinated about college since 1966. I'm sorry that I didn't do this before my parents died; I know I was a big disappointment to them. I'm sure they thought I was a frigging idiot for all of my life. At least I was smart enough to give birth to Mallory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home