Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

...these few lines put a lump in my throat...


So, I was reading my friend, Boo's blog, and these few lines unexpectedly grabbed my by the throat and tore at my heart...
"Did you imagine the final sound as a gun?"
October 20th marked the one-year anniversary of the death of Steven, my son Matthew's friend, who died of an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Matthew, despite using his EMS training, was not able to save Steven's life. Did he ever imagine that the last sound he would hear in his short life was the sound of a gun going off next to his head?


"Or the smashing windscreen of a car?"
Yesterday, three boys who were high-
school seniors in our community died
in this automobile accident on their
way home from school. It was raining
hard, the narrow road they were driving
home from school on was slick, and they
swerved into oncoming traffic. Their VW
was demolished by a van--all died at
the scene.
"Did you ever imagine the last thing
you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?"
Last December, David Beningo, an acquaintance and former schoolmate
of my son, died of acute alcohol
poisoning... at a work-related
Christmas party.





As a mom, these words made my heart ache...babies dying, far away from the loving arms of their mommies to hold them and comfort them.






















































2 Comments:

Blogger Boo said...

That is a very powerful song. Lots of powerful imagery in that song too. Did you listen to the You-tube clip?

Being that you live in the Portsmouth area, what's your thoughts on the new proposed courthouse?

Thanks for continuing to stop by my blog. I usually keep up with yours via the RSS feed.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Cinnabitch said...

I wasn't sure if it was song lyrics or a poem, but it bent my heart. I will listen to it now.

I recall hearing about a new courthouse but do not know the details? Your design?? I have gone to Portsmouth infrequently--the Naval Hospital is there, and to take my son to two of his fire science classes at one of the firehouses.

I enjoy watching the things you do with your son; our children grow up so quickly, that one day you both will look back on these idyllic days with smiles, full hearts, and (for you...)maybe some tears.

I read your's, Mohawk Chieftain's and Cookie's blogs as often as I can.

Obama--Oh Yes!! Our family is thrilled.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home