Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Even without brownies it turned out to be a pretty good day...

Well, if you read my entries yesterday, you could see how frustrating it is to be this age, and trying to learn a new skill like navigating through all of the confusion of operating a computer. Our kids will never understand how frustrating and intimidating it can be for some of us trying to acquire new skills. Which brings to mind several conversations I have had with my two younger kids (ages 21 and 18 and 5/6ths). We have discussed how things have changed since "back in the olden days when (I) was alive". Back where and when I was growing up, there were no drugs, not even marijuana. We heard that the famous drummer Gene Krupa used "pot", and it was a scarey thing. I was around 30 when I first saw it. Of course, my kids don't believe it.

Way back when...the boys would get someone older to buy them beer, they'd take it out to the forest preserves, and see how much they could drink before puking. Whoever (whomever?) could say "Ralph" the most times while puking won, although I don't know what they won.

And back in the day, we actually danced. There were a few really good bands made up of friends who practiced in their garages until they were good enough to perform at dances. They played all kinds of music, but my favorites were the Motown sound. Boy have things changed. My kids go to something here called the "Lunatic Luau", which is sponsored (at least in part), by one of the local rock stations. It goes on from around noon until around midnight, with about ten or twelve popular bands on two stages. But I don't think the kids have as much fun as we would have had if this had happened in the early to mid-60s. We would have danced til our legs had been worn away into stubs. There is a lot of drinking, boob-, butt-, and "macaroni noodle"-(if you get my drift) flashing, marijuana smoking, fighting, and "moshing". But I don't know if they dance. I don't think they do. My kids look at me like I'm mentally ill when I asked them if they did. And they roll their eyes when I suggest they have a party here at the house like the kind we used to have when I was alive. They have threatened to run away if I even bring the topic up in front of their friends for fear of being laughed out of town, I guess. Enough of the nostalgia; I've gotten it out of my system for now.

My train of thought got side-tracked. So, I was so upset last night that I went to bed. I studied for a while, and for the rest of the night I went over and over what I might have done wrong on the computer. I also thought about getting up and baking those brownies that I didn't bake because I was too busy screwing around trying to get that frigging square with the X on it off the computer. But I am not going to worry about it any more.

The good news is that I switched from my on-line Western Civilization class to an in-person class. Hopefully I will do better with a different teacher and different format. My kids are pretty proud of me going back to school at this late age. Going part-time at this age will allow me to graduate from college at about the same time I will qualify for Social Security. So, I don't know how many of you out there are just getting out of high school, and how many of you have toyed with the idea of going back to college. All I can say is that the time is going to pass whether you go or not, so you might as well go, even if you just take one class per semester. I've been taking three, which is all my rusted-out, cobweb-infested, scabbed-over brain can handle. I have gotten all "A"s except for one "B". I remember back in 1965-66 when my dad promised me any kind of a car I wanted, within reason, if I got all "A"s except for one "B". I sent him a print-out of my grades for 6 semesters, and told him I was ready for the car. He said the deal was off, because NOW I am motivated. That really sucked. But on the other hand, it is much more meaningful to do it when you really ARE self-motivated. So, please, take a class, any one. You can decide what you want to be when you grow up, later. Just have fun.

Tomorrow, after I do my homework, I am going to try a new recipe (if I am motivated). It is for a Greek pastry called "Galaktoboureko". I saw it on "Road Tasted" and it looked excellent. It has fillo dough on the top and bottom like baklava, but the inside has milk, butter, fine semolina flour, and eggs. I'm going to bake that if I am motivated, of course, and brownies (always motivated to do that).

Tomorrow we will discuss current events. Feel free to offer suggestions for topics, or I'll talk about what is on my mind. By the way, I saw an accident on the way home from switching classes today. Someone wasn't paying attention, and rear-ended the car ahead of him. You know, your life can change in a flash. Fortunately no one was killed. My oldest daughter's dear friend Diane, lost her only child, her 16-year old son Barrett, in an auto accident. It will be two years ago this coming December, and the entire family's lives have been changed forever. Drive carefully, slow down...think "SERENITY NOW"...deep breaths, and please, no booze. Get wherever you are going alive, without brain damage, with all of your body parts intact and working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home