Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Friday, July 25, 2008

The other day I wrote that you can live in Phoenix, Arizona where...

1. You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade. Boy, was I wrong, and I have been corrected:

Below is an Arizona native's take--she says (regarding the above statement) that:

Never happens! By the time you walk three blocks on blacktop and/or concrete you'd be a sweaty mess, nope you aim for the closest space to the door, try to have the sun to your back, put thermal windshield cover up, crack open your windows just a tad to let 140 degree air escape (vehicle windows have been known to crack due to extreme heat), never wear shorts if you have vinyl seat covers (most AZ vehicles will have leather or fabric seats), and when you do return to your vehicle never just grab the steering wheel, because that sucker is gonna be hot!

I wrote:
2. You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl. I am wrong again...

Arizona native's take: Never happens, but trying to get a cool glass of water from the faucet is a no go. The water directly under the house is as cool as it gets, after that all tap water is very warm.

3. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town. EEEEH....I am corrected...

Arizona native's take: Nope, driving four hours gets you out of town, you can reach Flagstaff or Tucson in under four hours. Now a two hour drive in any direction from central Phoenix will keep you in the Valley.

4. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food. Strike FOUR!!!

Arizona native's take: Mexicans don't do recipes, you do it the way your mother did it, and she did it the way her mother-in-law did it, and so on. Now if your not Mexican and someone gives you a recipe and one of the ingredients is "ketchup" and/or "powdered chili" throw it out it ain't genuine.

And I agree...however, my "recipes" for Mexican food (i.e. tortillas, tamales--green chili & cheese and meat, flautas, enchiladas, calavacitas, pico de gallo, and frijoles refritos) have been handed down to me from my mom and aunts who learned them from their mom, who learned from her mom, etc.. We call them "recipes" even though they are learned through participation, and not from a cookbook.

5. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door. ONE RIGHT!!!

Arizona native's take: Well, yeah she got that one right!

6. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

Arizona native's take: Nope!
Fall = Beautiful;
Winter = Beautiful;
Spring = Beautiful; and
Summer = May-June, Beautiful (hot and dry); July and August, Nasty (hot and humid)

As the daughter/granddaughter/great-granddaughter of Arizona natives, I agree and disagree. Arizona is beautiful when the cactus are blooming, when the snow is on top of the San Francisco Peaks, after a rainfall in the desert, at sunrise over the Santa Rita Mountains, at sunset in Monument Valley, etc. But hot is hot. When I visit my family in Tucson/Tubac in summer, my body feels like bacon...the fat should be sizzling and melting away from my body. However, I will take an Arizona hot day ANY DAY over a Virginia Beach hot day. In Virginia Beach, outdoors is like a steam room. You sweat and the clothes never dry. They may mildew right on your body. At least in Arizona, the breeze blows up your dress, and your sweat evaporates right off your body. I hate heat. Give me a Chicago winter over any summer day anywhere(except maybe Oak Creek Canyon or San Diego).

1 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

If the breeze dies out, and you need someone to blow up yer dress, I'm probably your man!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home