Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

...this attorney's opinion makes sense!

Yesterday morning I happened to catch the tail-end of an interview on our local PBS radio station (WHRV, 89.5, Norfolk, VA). The interviewee was an editor for the Virginian Pilot, our daily newspaper, with a pretty large circulation. The host asked her about letters to the editor, and she commented that they publish every pro-McCain letter, but only a fraction of pro-Obama letters. I thought that was a pretty biased thing to do, until I heard her explanation. She said that the reason they publish all pro-McCain letters is that there are not so many--a mere fraction of the pro-Obama ones. To be "fair and balanced" they publish the same number of pro-Obama letters. Now I know why my letters to the editor haven't yet been printed! So, the following letter is better than mine, and I put it here for your thoughtful review.

This letter to the editor appeared on October 5th. The author, Gilbert DiLucia, of Williamsburg, VA, lays out his points clearly and eloquently, and the comparison leaves little doubt in my mind about who is best suited to lead our country.

"As an attorney, I can appreciate the great honor a law student receives when he is admitted to the staff of a law school's "law review," a magazine composed of articles by exceptionally bright law students. To be elected president of a law review, one almost must be capable of "walking on water" in terms of high intelligence.

Barack Obama was the president of the Harvard Law School Law Review. A person of such high intelligence simply boggles my mind and probably the minds of every lawyer. In all probability, Obama has the IQ of a genius. He graduated at the top of his class.

Obama, because of his basic intelligence and his training at Harvard Law School, can grasp complicated issues and outline solutions for them. He graduated summa cum laude.

On the other hand, John McCain finished fifth from the bottom of his class and was almost expelled from the Naval Academy. He drank a lot of beer and caroused until the early morning hours. The fact that his father and grandfather were admirals most probably prevented him from being expelled.

Also, courses like navigation, seamanship and gunnery probably did little to improve McCain's mind, nor train him to grasp and solve the complicated questions he had to solve in Congress. He admits he does not understand economics very well.

You can vote for Obama, a very bright student and lawyer and original thinker, or vote for a former playboy who has shown little legislative originality during his congressional career. Worse, McCain has not proposed any new and exciting goals for our country in his presidential campaign."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home