Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Friday, August 21, 2009

...no news yet on boob, good news re: hurricane...

Well, I will give the doctor a call on Monday to find out what is up.


This picture is of Kitty Hawk, NC, a small community on the Outer Banks after Hurricane Isabel. Even though that storm barely grazed the edge of Virginia Beach as a minimal hurricane, there were a lot of trees down in our area, and we were without power for ten sweltering days. Our apple tree now grows at a slight angle from the constant 70mph winds.

One section of road down on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (about 90 miles or so, south of here), will be closed for the weekend. This is because it is a skinny section of road that goes for miles through some little communities with the Atlantic Ocean on one side, and a bay, I guess you would call it, on the other side. I drove down there back in October for my friend/catering partner, Victoria's daughter Vanessa's wedding. If you heard of the movie, "Nights in Rodanthe," it was supposed to have taken place down there, and as a matter of fact, the house where the movie was filmed is down there...however, due to some wave action, it was surrounded by water when I was there. In fact, this skinny two-lane road had a lot of water and sand over it in places, and warning signs, too. I didn't recall hearing anything on the news about any storms there, and I was a little anxious driving down there by myself, since it wasn't tourist season, and I'd only passed a couple of cars during the entire drive. Had I gotten stuck, I am not sure what I would have done. Anyhow, Vanessa, her husband, and their two kids live in another small community further south than Kitty Hawk, called Salvo, in a little one-story house they rent, about a half-block from the ocean. There are plenty of two- and three-story homes on stilts down there, but her's isn't one of them. So, when I hear news like high tides, I do worry about them. Especially if they cannot get out because the road is closed.


This house fell off its stilts during a storm; the waves crashed against the house and brought it down.
Meanwhile, it looks like Hurricane Bill is going to pass about 300 miles east of here, but we are still in store for high tides, beach erosion, and rip currents.
People who stick around to have "hurricane parties" are nuts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Glad old Bill gave you a break. Now, if only old Boob will follow suit...

8:02 AM  
Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Oh! And I can't quite make out their faces but... is that Wilbur & Orville in the foreground?

7:49 AM  
Blogger Dave and Charlotte said...

Hey there, I see you're using one of my images on your post, would you mind adding a photo credit / link to our site please? http://www.DaveAndCharlotte.com Thanks : )

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home