Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Neptune Festival Update...

The Neptune Festival Air Show took place a week or so ago, with the Navy Blue Angels' precision performance as the highlight of the show. Visitors also had an opportunity to get up close to the various planes and helicopters parked on the tarmac, watch vintage bi-planes perform stunts, meet the pilots, and eat until they couldn't move. Admission as always, was free...most people brought lawnchairs and blankets, but if you felt like it, you could tailgate or even pull out a hammock.

This past weekend was the Sandman Triathlon. My youngest daughter, Mallory, and her boyfriend Brendan and I were down at the oceanfront by 6:30 am, ready to hand out water to the participants once they got to the running portion. The weather was great, but the water a little choppy with strong currents due to the hurricane that passed out in the Atlantic.

The first portion of the Triathlon was a lengthy swim parallel to the shore. Fortunately there were plenty of lifeguards, police and Coast Guard rescue personnel, crafts, and vehicles just in case they were needed. I think the hardest part was running from the water through the sand up to their bicycles. From there, the participants make a 14-kilometer (I think) ride up to Fort Story (Army base) on "the corner of the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay" and back, followed by the third leg, the 4- or 5-K run. I walked 4 miles that day during my volunteer stint and nearly needed a stretcher, and so I cannot imagine the strength, stamina, and perseverence of these hundreds of participants. It was very, very exciting, and we hung around to cheer the last one to come in (almost an hour after the first place winner) as loudly as we cheered the first. Afterward all the volunteers and participants went to "Lunasea's" for a cookout, live music, and awards presentations.

The rest of the afternoon was spent collecting tickets and passing out wine glasses to the nearly 1,500 people who attended the Neptune Festival Wine Tasting. Here everyone had an opportunity to sample wines from a number of Virginia wineries, eat lots of food, and dance to a really great band. The weather was great...sunny and around 80 with a nice ocean breeze (the day before it was cloudy with occasional showers).

I think this coming week are the beach volleyball championship, sandsculpting championship, and next week I'm working on the parade. Also, Sunday morning there were bulldozers out on the beach making a huge mountain of sand. The sign says it will be the world's largest sand castle. Look for it on TV!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Maybe a dumb question on my part... but why do they call it the Neptune Festival?

3:01 PM  
Blogger Cinnabitch said...

I think it has something to do with the fact that this is near the ocean--other than that I will have do to research. It has been going on for 33 years, long before I arrived here.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Maybe it is related to King Neptune. If not, it must be the planet.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said...

I like sand castles

Love to all....

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home