Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Virginia Beach Neptune Festival

Every September, once the majority of the tourists go home, the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia, hosts a three-week long party called the Neptune Festival. This year marks the 33rd year. Events include: a ball, parade, sand-sculpting competition (if I can figure out how to get a photo of the winner on this site, you will see how incredible this is...individuals and teams come from all over the world), art show, wine festival, musical performances, Sandman Triathlon, 8K Run, air show (includes the Navy Blue Angels and a race between a plane and a jet-propelled semi). You can enter the events, watch (don't forget your lawnchairs) (and earplugs for the airshow), or volunteer. My family volunteers for a lot of the activities. Also around this time is the East Coast Surfing Championship. The waves are not nearly as big as out in California, and the surfers should get special recognition because it is much more difficult to catch a wave here...unless there's a hurricane brewing somewhere. It is the most fun a person can have working without getting paid. And the volunteer/logistics co-ordinator, John Ickes, is THE BEST!!! If you are on the East coast, come, because it isn't more than a few hours' drive from wherever you live. If you are somewhere else, this is the BEST time of year to visit. The prices at the hotels along the oceanfront drop to an affordable rate, the temperatures are becoming tolerable, and the Festival is the only fun, organized activity going on here that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Most activities are free, the Wine Festival is $25 in advance, $30 at the gate. BUT you get to keep the much coveted Neptune Wine Festival commemorative goblet to add to your collection, and for $1.00 buy a raffle ticket. Last year, they raffled off a Hummer. The gasoline is too pricey for me, but you can always sell or trade it for a Prius. All money raised goes to charity. This festival is the best-kept local secret. If I was a tourist, I'd NEVER come here in the freaking blistering summer heat...I'd wait til now! Visit their website: Neptune Festival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home