Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Rabbit Ramblings Blogspot

For some enjoyable and interesting reading, please check Boo out at: http://rabbitramblings.blogspot.com/

Things have been crazy around here for the past few weeks. The Peter Principle is in effect right now. Whatever can go wrong, has. My husband was involved in an auto accident on his way to work a month ago. He was rear-ended while at a stop light. We are down to one vehicle, and I am the designated driver. Instead of 3/4 of a tank of gas per week, I am now using three full tanks. I am driving my husband to and from work, my son to and from work and to and from classes at the local community college, and myself to and from work, and to and from my own classes.

I am reluctant to point any fingers, but the "executor" of my father's "estate", such as it is, sat on the paperwork for several months. Meanwhile, my father's ashes have been collecting dust at my sister's home for SIX frigging months now, waiting to be buried next to my mother's. This is quite stressful for me and for my family members who are waiting for the word so they can arrange their schedules so we can honor my dad by finally being able to fulfill our promise to him.

My son quit taking the antibiotics he was prescribed for the Lyme disease he contracted. Mr. Know-It-All thinks since the rash has gone away, he's out of the woods.

Our 15 1/2-year-old Pekingese, Pokey, looks like a camel, with his arthritic back. We finally took him to our veterinarian, David Morris, in Virginia Beach, who spent time talking with us, explaining all of Pokey's health problems without once looking at his watch. It is time for us to let our Pokemeister go, and be released from his pain. Now to convince our daughters. I am the custodial grandma, and his "birth mother" -- my #2 daughter wants us to wait until she can be with him during our annual Thankschanumasgiving family gathering. Daughter #3 can't deal with euthanasia while she is trying to concentrate on her hideously difficult classes this semester. My little schmoopies want to be here with him and hold his paws, and then conduct a funeral service. What is a grandma to do, who wants to alleviate his pain and at the same time, ease her children and grandchildren through their painful loss? Illness and death are not always convenient. Even the most loving mom and grandma can't take away the pain, but can only be here to hug, wipe tears, and pass out chocolate brownies. Somehow I am finding this more difficult because I feel guilty that I am discussing his demise in front of him, without him being able to understand. All I can do is hold him and run my hands over his soft, beautiful fur. Maybe he knows something is up because we are giving him more treats, more cookies, more food off our plates in the past few months, than in the previous 15 years. Then again, maybe he thinks he's finally convinced us that he is the king of this castle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Man! I just love schmoopies!

It is fast-becoming my favorite word....

5:09 AM  
Blogger Boo said...

Sorry to hear about all the crap going on. Why couldn't you get a rental car for your husband? (I'm assuming that the other person was at fault since he got rearended).

Thanks for the plug!

BTW - Blogger is giving me troubles posting your graphic link on the left side of my blog. It's a picture of some cinnamon sticks. (for some reason, I only get pictures of female dogs named Cinnamon when I Google Cinnamon Bitch). Anyway - If you have a graphic you would like to use, feel free to send me a link. Please keep the size small (about 100x100 pixels)

You live in the Beach area?

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home