Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

...about a life well-lived...

Some time ago, I heard about Professor Randy Pausch, from Carnegie-Mellon University (my dad's alma mater). You may have heard of him, and of his last lecture. I know that many people confront the grim news of a medical death sentence every day, and Professor Pausch was just another cancer victim. But several things drew my attention to him.

-He was young, with children who will grow up with only the faintest, fuzzy memories of him.
-Youth is relative--I remember when 47 seemed so old, and now that it is behind me, it seems so young.
-Pancreatic cancer takes its victims so soon--one scarcely has time to absorb the diagnosis, let alone get affairs in order before getting down to the business of suffering.
-He accepted the diagnosis and lived his life gracefully.
-My Uncle Louie and his daughter Mary Helen out in Tucson both died of pancreatic cancer, as did the mother of my oldest and dearest friend back in Chicago, Donna. A hellish way to go.
-He challenged people to reflect on their lives and live each day as though it was going to be his or her last.

None of us (except those who commit suicide) know what day will be our last, and I believe that we often forget that as we get on with the rush of our daily activities. We take for granted that we will be able to complete tomorrow, or next week, or next month, what we didn't finish today.

Last summer, we gathered to bury my dad's ashes next to my mom's in a small cemetery in Tubac, Arizona. I had to write his obituary, and felt inadequate to sum up 91 years of a life well-lived, in something that would fit into a newspaper.

I wanted to write about Randy Pausch, but I didn't feel that I had the right to make comments about someone I never met, but his lecture reminded me that my life is passing by all too quickly, and I haven't accomplished all that I've wanted to do. And time is going to pass regardless of how I live my life. I feel a new sense of urgency.

When I read the editorial section of our local newspaper this morning, I found a beautiful tribute to Randy Pausch. My own words didn't seem sufficient to explain how inspiring Professor Pausch truly was. I wrote to the Virginian-Pilot, and asked for permission to write the full text of the editorial. I want to give full credit to the author. I am not sure who that is, so I am writing down the names of Dennis Hartig, Editorial Page Editor, who kindly responded to my letter of inquiry, and Dave Word, Director of News Operations. I DID NOT WRITE THIS AND AM NOT TAKING CREDIT FOR IT. I am simply sharing a beautifully written tribute with my friends who do not have access to it. I am leaving out parts of it because of the length.

"...an appreciation"
"PAUSCH SEIZED THE DAY"


"Had Randy Pausch not been dying, the computer scientist likely would have been known for developing a virtual reality technology that allows people to create 3-D animations."
"But the 47-year-old Carnegie Mellon professor had incurable pancreatic cancer, and he became known instead for inspiring millions of people to live well, fully and happily."
"Pausch died Friday in Chespeake, less than a year after delivering "The Last Lecture." In it he encouraged people to pursue childhood dreams with vigor, to celebrate little moments with loved ones and generally to rejoice in life."
...(He) "embodied carpe diem." "In this year's commencement speech at Carnegie Mellon, he told students that what mattered was looking back and saying, "Pretty much any time I got a chance to do something cool, I tried to grab for it.""
"Pausch, who spent the past year intentionally making memories with his wife and three young children, urged parents to allow their children to paint on their bedroom walls. With a sense of wonder and humor, he brought together artists and engineers. He helped people discover and fulfill their dreams. Ultimately, he noted, that's even more fun than achieving your own."
"Pausch's gift was reminding us that if we put relationships first, discover and pursue passions and appreciate the good in others, karma takes care of itself."

Such sweet words to live by. Now go out and live your lives.


2 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

I admire your honesty and unwillingness to plagiarize or partake in copyright infringement. I feel the same way, but I will borrow anything that's not nailed down, if I think others should see it. But, I always try to give credit, where that credit is due. I like that old adage that sez: "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", as long as it don't cost nuthin'....

11:58 AM  
Blogger Cinnabitch said...

Thanks...plus I don't wanna go to jail. It smells like dirty ass. Or so I've been told.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home