Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

...about something other than the upcoming election!

For a change, I have something else to talk about. I went to a tea party yesterday at the home of one of my daughter, Mallory's, friends. Erica was hosting her first-ever tea party. (As they say in some political rallies...I want to "give a shout out to her!".) It turned out so nice; in addition to Erica, Mallory, and me, Rebecca, Helena and their mommy JoAnn were there, as was Erica's mom, and two other friends of Erica's. It was also exciting to have so many well-educated women sitting together discussing "smart people stuff." It was a large group to entertain, especially for a first-time event. We sat at a beautiful table that belonged, if my failing memory serves me correctly, to Erica's husband's great-grandparents. Erica had beautiful table linens out, tea cups and saucers, a floral arrangement, and pretty serving pieces. It really looked elegant, and it reminded me of when I was little and my grandma would have my great/grand-aunts, my mom, my sister and me sitting at a very similar table in her apartment in New York City sipping tea and eating finger foods. It bent my heart. Erica's mom made some cucumber sandwiches that made my eyes roll up in the sockets. I've made cucumber sandwiches according to recipes in a couple of my "tea party" cookbooks, but after tasting hers, I will never, ever use my recipe again. Unfortunately, they did not make enough. I was trying to be polite, and I only had two little triangles. Had I known that the other guests were going to be snatching a handful at a time (no names mentioned), I would have knocked them off their chairs to snag a few more myself. Anyhow, it was a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon for a change. I've been so busy with my little "butterbean"...we are now calling him "SharpTooth" since he's grown three razor-sharp teeth that he likes to use on us...and constantly trying to catch up on my homework that keeps getting further and further behind because I can't stay connected to the Internet (another long and boring story)...this is a long run-on sentence. I just stuck a period back there so you could catch your breath. Anyhow, I've been busy, and it was the first time in at least six months that I haven't been DOING something. I have actually forgotten how to relax. It felt wierd.
Erica made some blueberry scones and lemon-poppy seed muffins. And deviled eggs (I only got one, damn it), and her mom made some salmon salad (yummy). Mallory made (all by herself) some dark-chocolate dipped strawberries, and brought some kind of pumpkin cake roll filled with something that I couldn't try because it didn't involve chocolate. I didn't eat the strawberries, because all the girls were excited about them, and I didn't want to appear to be a pig. They're easy enough to make, and look and taste yummy. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

fresh strawberries, rinsed, dried completely, and at room temperature
a bag of Dove dark chocolate candy
paper towel (to dry the strawberries with after you rinse them...use them also to get every drop of water off before dipping)
waxed paper
a cookie sheet

Unwrap the candy and put into a small microwavable bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time (stir after each 30 second interval), until just melted.

Hold the strawberry by the green leaves at the top, and dip it into the chocolate, and then lay it down gently on the wax-paper covered cookie sheet. Leave a little space (a couple of inches) between the berries because the chocolate will spread a little. (After you have done a couple, you will know whether or now you have put too much chocolate on the berry, and you can let a little more drip off the next ones you dip before you put them onto the waxed paper.) Once you have filled the cookie sheet, put it into the refrigerator.

I learned that you should probably not try to do 12 dozen chocolate-dipped strawberries for a catered event...unless you have a zillion cookie sheets and enough refrigerators to accommodate them all. Once you have dipped them, you should serve them within a few hours. If you let them stay in the refrigerator too long, they will "sweat" when you bring them out of the refrigerator. It looks ugly. If you refrigerate them overnight, the strawberries may begin to leak juice, and it looks ugly too. So, you should do them a couple of hours, at most, before serving them. A couple of other hints, while the huge strawberries look incredibly impressive, once the chocolate hardens, and you try to bite into it, your guests will have chunks of chocolate falling onto their laps, and strawberry juice running down their chins. So, try to pick smaller ones that are pretty equal in size. It's easier for your guests if they can suck them down in one or two bites.

Guys, you can impress your girlfriend or wife if you do this. Serve with champagne, and you may get a good back rub. Women, you can do this for yourself, or share with friends as a bonding experience.

I am not giving out Erica's mom's recipe for cucumber sandwiches. If she wants to share it with you, that's her business. I feel honor-bound to keep my big mouth shut (except to eat more of them)...and, coincidentally, I just happen to have all the ingredients right here, right now, and I'm here alone with SharpTooth.

Well, he just doodled in his diaper, and is calling for assistance. Those cucumber sandwiches will have to wait. Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home