Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

BOOB UPDATE...

Well, after a week of sweating bullets, and thinking about giving things away before my premature death of breast cancer at age 60, I got the letter from my doctor and from the radiologist who "read" my mammogram and ultrasound. Simply, the lump is there, but cancer is not indicated. I don't know how they make that determination; 21 years ago (before boob ultrasound), I had found a lump in my other boob. Ada Michaels, the principal of my kids' school, a breast cancer survivor (at the time), came right to me when she heard, and was very supportive as I went in for a lumpectomy. I knew I would come out of surgery missing a lump or missing a boob. Sadly, she has since passed away...way too young, from cancer. Anyhow, I didn't have Ada to lean on this time, and it was scary as hell, and somehow, I don't feel very comfortable relying on someone simply looking at a picture to determine if this is a cancerous lump or not. And while I'm certainly not excited about surgery or needles, I would have thought that the radiologist, just to be certain, would have suggested a biopsy, if not a lumpectomy. I mean, I don't want a year to go by until my next mammogram, have the radiologist read that one, and say, "OOPS!! It WAS cancer...my bad!" My friend Annalee's husband Craig, found a little lump behind his left shoulder blade, kind of near the back of his armpit. He WENT to the doctor, who said it was nothing. A year later, he was still complaining to Annalee about it, and she said, "Then why don't you just go to a different doctor?!" He did, they did some tests, and the NEW doctor said, "You should have been in here a year ago!" It was malignant melanoma, and it had spread throughout his body, and he was dead within three months. So, I have to see my doctor in October, anyhow, for my annual physical, and I guess I will talk to him about this. But for now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And I've been catching up on the sleep that I lost during those couple of weeks of worrying.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Sounds like good news to me. But, you are still concerned and never satisfied, so I would certainly say that you should get that second opinion... and get it as soon as you can! Then, you old Bitch, we will all breathe easier. "The Girls" have, more or less, stood firmly by you... for years, and now it's your turn to give 'em some support....

Don't let 'em down!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home