Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Brief Updates...

I am sure everyone saw "macaca's" henchmen take down someone who was asking a question of George Allen out in a college in Charlottesville, VA yesterday. Perhaps the question was inappropriate; it had something to do with the details of Allen's divorce (I didn't know anything about a divorce until yesterday, and it's really none of my business) back in the 80s. Allen was asked why the divorce papers were sealed (I don't know, are they generally available for public viewing?) I think a more appropriate response would have been for George to say, "None of your frigging (that word is optional) beeswax", and go on about his business. I would say that someone over-reacted. I believe we will be seeing this on TV for a while ... hm, maybe through next Tuesday??? It'll kind of balance out Kerry's faux pax!

And as far as Kerry's comment, I'm no rocket scientist, but if I can be so bold as to attempt to explain what I thought he meant, when addressing those college students out in Cali, loosely translates (kind of, maybe): that students really need to pay attention to their education, because if they don't, they are likely to be (1) uninformed, (2) and for that reason, more easily swayed by the rhetoric of certain (and I'm not pointing fingers here) ideologues, and (3) be more vulnerable to being easily manipulated into going to battle for a cause that they do not thoroughly understand by some flag-waving knuckleheads who equate free speech and freedom of thought with a lack of patriotism. I know very few people who would not defend our country if it was attacked, and then I think of all of the young men who died in Viet Nam, for a good example, not for OUR freedom, not to defend OUR security, not to guard OUR borders from invasion, but for some agenda that most people in our country did not understand, and were not told about. I recall friends, including my dear friend Mohawk Chieftain, who were willing to give up their lives when called upon to do their "patriotic duty". We (our generation) were between a rock and a hard place. Be labeled a traitor, a draft-dodger, or go leave the country. Of course, we had a draft way back in the olden days when we were alive (as my kids put it), and if you were smart enough or wealthy enough to attend college, you could totally avoid any military duty, especially Viet Nam by staying in school forever. What about registering as a "conscientious objector" you ask? Look what happened to Muhammed Ali (Cassius Clay)..didn't he end up in jail or something?

Anyhoo, I don't believe for one second that Kerry doesn't care about and respect each member of the military, particularly enlisted servicemen and servicewomen, because he knows the price these young people pay for trying to do the right thing. So it appears to me that somebody is just trying to add a little last minute spin. War sucks. Stupid wars suck more. Politics and secret stuff that we don't know about, pisses me the frig off.

Well, my goodness, I am glad I didn't have time to post that last night, because this morning, my dear pal Mohawk Chieftain forwarded to me a very interesting editorial from the New York Post. While the whole thing was very informative, one particular paragraph stuck out in my mind, and sums up pretty much all that I've said above, and so I quote from the NY Post editorial, and I'm sorry I don't know when it was published or who wrote it, and I am absolutely not taking credit for the words, but agree with the sentiments completely:

"But when candidates for lower office make their opponents out to be friends of Osama bin Laden, or try to turn a minor gaffe into a near felony, that’s just depressing. When the president of the United States gleefully bathes in the muck to divide Americans into those who love their country and those who don’t, it is destructive to the fabric of the nation he is supposed to be leading."

Reading that pisses me off even more, because NOW I know I am not the only one thinking about this, I'm just pissed off enough to say it out loud. Kind of like the story about the Emperor's New Clothes.

Friday morning update: While I'm thinking about it, Rush Limbaugh or Limburger, whatevah, pisses me off too. What chutzpah to make comments about Michael J. Fox. Unbe-frigging-lievable. And that's all I'm going to say about that. Not all I'm thinking. I'd just like to wake up one morning and find that people are "making nice."

And one last thing, Muqtada al Sadr...I thought devout Muslims didn't want their pictures taken. I see on the news RIGHT NOW, his image on posters. It looks like he posed for the picture...it wasn't a candid shot taken when he wasn't looking. A photo op? What's up with that? I hope I don't offend anyone. I was just thinking, ya know. If anyone knows the answer to this, please tell me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home