Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

...I just need to simmer down...

...but then I find something else that pisses me off.

Again, same date, same newspaper, same page, same Editorial Editor (Dennis Hartig). This article is from the Washington Post. No author's name is given, but I so agree, and am so disgusted. I am sure you will concur.

"Banished"

"When Iraq's Olympic team paraded at the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney, the head of the country's Olympic Committee was Uday Hussein, the notoriously sadistic son of dictator, Saddam Hussein.
Uday made Baghdad's Olympic facilities the headquarters for his own epic feats of rape, torture and murder. ...His may have been the foulest abuse of a national Olympic movement in history. Yet the International Olympic Committee found a way to live with Uday, just as it has tolerated the manipulations of sports teams by totalitarian governments around the world -- including this year's host, China.
Funny, then, that the IOC would have decided to ban Iraq's seven-member Olympic team from this year's Games -- a punishment that in recent decades has been imposed only on apartheid South Africa and Taliban-ruled Afghanistan. The reason cited by the Lausanne-based agency: "political interference in the Olympic movement," an offense that the IOC did not detect in Iraq when Saddam Hussein's son was in charge."

Why not support these seven athletes who have found a way to practice for whatever events they were hoping to participate in, in spite, somehow, of the dangers in the disaster we have precipitated upon their country? Let them be proud of being Iraqi. Let them carry their flag, and show the world that Iraq is not a nation of terrorists or religious fanatics. This would help raise the morale of Iraqi citizens who have been due some good news for way, way too long. The Iraq Olympic Team deserves an opportunity to play in the Games. It is certainly not their fault that they were living under the Hussein regime.

I really need a strong glass of chocolate milk.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

Somebody must be afraid of you. They're now gonna let those athletes compete... Could you write the V.A. for me, and tell 'em I deserve an increase in my disability allowance? I'm really more disturbed than they'll admit...

4:00 PM  
Blogger Cinnabitch said...

Yeah! Can you believe it?! I think it was simply just a co-inky-dink.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home