Name:

I've become addicted to "A"s (I've gone back to college), love eating and cooking everything but goat cheese, I always try to please everyone and laugh without wetting myself or snorting. I love reading and keeping up with current events, I value my friends. And most especially, I'm a proud mother of four and an excessively proud grandmother of five.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

...why does "perpetual virgin" trump REAL news?

Don't stop me now, I'm on a roll..."I am sick to death of the nastiness of our political system. Fox News is driving me insane, especially Sean Hannity. But it's not just Fox...in flipping through the channels, I see more commentary and less news on all channels than ever before. My poor dad, who inspired me to become a news junkie, is probably rolling over in his grave. Growing up, I was "forced" by virtue of the fact that we had only one TV when I was little, to watch "Meet the Press" and every other news program on CBS, NBC, or ABC. I got to read "U.S. News and World Report" and "Time" magazines when I got tired of my kid books. So when did the fair and unbiased reporting of news get replaced with chit chat and opinions? When did THE news turn into half-truths? I sit here flipping through channels trying to get an idea of what really IS the news. I count on the BBC to show foreign stuff, but even that seems to be slanted toward Americans. And what the frig is "Red Eye?" One of the most hideous faux-news shows ever created. I felt like spitting up a little in my throat when I tried to give it a chance. That lasted only five minutes before I felt too gag-ish to continue.

I'm going off on a tangent here, but I need to get this off my chest before I go on.
I read the newspaper every day, but this past Sunday wondered what the frig was going on...on the FRONT PAGE was an article (continued on page 7) about a young woman who committed her life to Christ, and intends to remain a virgin for all eternity or something like that. Good for her! But not exactly what I think is front page material. I am not kidding. She is "...the first consecrated virgin in Richmond diocese's 188-year history." What the frig?!!! Front page! Holy crapola...I guess virginity trumps the news that "Iran Claims It Has Added Enrichment Capability" which is on page 6. Is news of the possibility that Iran may be a step closer to being able to develop nuclear weapons of less importance than the news that someone is not engaging in sexual relations? WHAT? AND, the "consecrated virgin" article from page one (continued on page 7) in ALL CAPS states "ONLY 500 SUCH VIRGINS WORLDWIDE". Well, this is so frigging earthshaking, that I wonder why it is not "Breaking News" on cable.

And, the last page of the front section of world and national news...two newsworthy (to me) articles: "Second day, second city is blasted by series of bombs" (referring to suicide bombings in India), and "Hamas cracks down on rival Fatah group after deadly blast" (Gaza Strip). Both articles on the back page, while Bernadette S's photo graces the front page "...she was 19 when she decided to become a perpetual virgin." Gag me with a rosary, for G-d's sake.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said...

For real news, I turn to Nickelodeon, or Comedy Central.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home